Monday, December 6, 2010

I've been thinking...

Why are some people cynical and selfish? I've just felt some negativity around me lately, probably dabbled in some myself since my portfolio and all that was due last week, but I just feel like some people take it to extremes. With all the beautiful and good things there are in life, why be so grouchy and unhappy all the time? Yes, I understand not everyone's life is all peaches and cream, and we all go through our difficult times, but you don't have to let the bad overcome you and become your whole attitude. Not to strike up the band and let the pity-party begin, but I feel like I have had the opportunity--and the excuse, some would say--to let negativity swallow me up ever since my mom died two years ago. But I haven't. God blessed me with too many wonderful things and people in life, including the 20 years I got to spend with my mom, to let the loss of her ruin my life. No, I will never get over her death, but you learn how to be strong and continue on with your life. I feel some people develop terrible attitudes over much less, and it's so selfish.

Maybe I am naive, and I'm sure I am to some extent, but I feel like there's just no room for so much selfishness in the world. I know everyone has to take care of and look out for themselves, and that is fine, but that doesn't mean you should neglect others who may need help once in a while. I don't mean you have to go out and pay off people's cars and houses and whatever else, but be encouraging when you know someone is going through something hard. Listen when someone needs a shoulder. Share the things you have that someone needs for a little while. God created us to be generous and loving people...so do it! So many good Bible verses come to mind for this idea, which proves to me that God truly cares for us and wants us to be the best people we can be, and that includes loving each other as He loves us and helping one another out. Luke 6:38 says, "Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” With this in mind, why would you be grumpy and unwilling to help when someone, especially a friend or someone close to you, needs it? Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice and did it without an ounce of selfishness in his heart when doing so! Why is it so hard for some to let someone borrow something for a little while without being bratty about it, or opening up your mouth with simple words of encouragement when someone needs it? The world has enough bad in it without the contribution of another bad attitude. Be humble! Be happy!

Anyway...any thoughts you have on all that are appreciated.

Whew. So anyway, other than that depressing thought I've had a good day, haha. Went to the East campus and saw the little 9th grade kiddies in action in school. They're different than seniors, for sure, but seem like fun :) I still think I want to teach middle school. They're just so awkward, cute, and still want to please, that it's hard not to love them. I guess I just hope I can find a job, no matter the grade! Fingers crossed!

So, I promise not all my blogs will be so debbie-downer. I'm a really happy and optimistic person, so when something so negative gets on my mind it really starts to weigh on my heart and I have to talk about it somehow...so now my two little blog followers can read it, haha.

I'm going to get back to grading senior projects...I love that I'm doing it with sweats, Christmas Pandora, and the Christmas tree all lit up :)

Until next time...
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
--Matthew 23:12

3 comments:

  1. Stay positive! It's the best quality you could have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you and your good attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taren, I love the blogs! very insightful. keep it up and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete