Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Geminids!

     Hey! So it's been a while...sorry about that. My last week or so was a little rough...but then I graduated from Kansas State University on Saturday, so it's all good! Several members of my family made the 8 hour drive up to Manhattan, KS and watched me walk the stage :) Yay family! My roommates went too, so it was a great day! Now I just have to take my English content exam on Jan. 15, apply for my KS license, apply for my TX license, and work on finding a job....yeah, so, that's a lot. Dangit. Just when you think you've finished, you haven't. Haha :) But it'll all get taken care of! As soon as I'm finished with this I'm going to go apply for my emergency sub license so that I can work for the next few months and make some money, so that I can turn around and spend it on bills. Wow...being an adult is fun already :\
     Last night I went a little bit crazy and decided to get up at 4 a.m. to watch the Geminid meteor shower. Apparently it's one of the best meteor showers of the year and since I didn't have to worry about getting up for anything in the morning, I decided to get up and watch it. We live out in the country so I might as well have. It's probably the best idea I've had in a while, actually. So, I geeked out and woke up to my alarm for 4, put on my trusty Ugg boots (yes, I have some, and yes, they are VERY toasty for the toes!), my pink coat, grabbed some gardening gloves (couldn't find my real gloves...go figure), grabbed a couple blankets, and went to the back porch. I pulled out our rocking bench, set my eyes to the northeast, and started looking! It was awesome. But really, it was awesome in the truest meaning of the word that says "inspiring great admiration." I'm sure my dogs were talking about me behind my back, saying to each other "what in the world is she doing out here at 4 a.m. and 30 degrees?? Crazy human..."
     I sat outside for 45 minutes in the cold, just staring at the sky with the wonder of a child (Jokes about my childishness aside...I know I'm like a little kid all the time, haha, but this was different). While I was outside I saw about 50-60 meteors! I felt like a little kid because just when I thought I might be ready to go in, I would talk myself into staying for "just a few more." Well, a few more would come and go, and still, there I sat. I just couldn't get enough! What an amazing gift of beauty from God. How perfect that He had me right there, in our country yard where I didn't have to drive anywhere to get away from the city lights, right then, on the night of the peak, and kept me from freezing to death by keeping the wind completely gone so that I could witness one of His great wonders! Thank goodness my stepmom said something about there being a meteor shower last night or I might have missed a great opportunity to be reminded just how great our God is and how beautiful His creation is. I'm always humbled by things like this, and am so grateful to have had the chance to be reminded how big He is! Awesome!
     Now, the day I have been counting down to has finally arrived, and at last I am watching my new favorite movie, Despicable Me, in the comfort of my own home :) I'm watching it as I type, and it just got the the part where Gru reads his story to the little girls...and I teared up, again. I can't help it! I love it! Some of my favorite quotes:
"Yeah, Swan Lake!"
"Why are you wearing pajamas?"
"I'll stuff all of you in the crust!" (I'll probably use that one a weekly or more basis...)
"I like him; he's nice." "But scary." "Like Santa!"

Okay, enough for now. My sister wants to read what I've written and it getting anxious because I told her she had to wait until I was finished. Alrighty, well, until next time...

Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies (Psalm 36:5)

--Taren

    

No comments:

Post a Comment