Monday, January 17, 2011

My Half-Moons are getting better!

Those of you who read my last blog entry...don't worry, this one is actually going to be about something! I feel like there's a million things I want to write about, but I'll try to keep it from getting too lengthy! (And PS in case you didn't catch it, the title is a yoga reference.)

Sunday at church, Kevin Ingram, the president of MCC, gave the sermon. I tell you what...he gives a fanTAStic sermon! The man knows how to teach and humble everyone all at the same time. He talked about how possessions and work rob us of our time with God, and it was pretty convicting. It made me think of something this last semester that fell through the cracks because I was so busy. It had to do with spending time in the Word and spending time with God, and I let my busy schedule get in the way. What's hard to deal with is that I know we need God the most when our lives do get super busy, and I used being busy as an excuse instead. I need to work on that, and am thankful that Kevin Ingram reminded me of that!

Another little lesson I got during church wasn't even given to me by the sermon, but by a guy sitting next to me. When the sermon began, he pulled out his iPhone. I automatically judged him and couldn't believe he was about to text or play a game or something in church! Luckily, my nosiness worked for good when I sneaked another glance over at his phone and lo-and-behold...he was taking sermon notes and looking up the verses we were going over on his Bible app! I immediately felt guilty and couldn't believe I had jumped to so negative a conclusion about him. Shame on me...but I learned that I need to not be so quick to judge because I never know when someone could be doing something productive, like taking sermon notes.

Well, it has been quite a weekend! Simple, and a bit lazy, but nice regardless! I've been house/Petee sitting at the Brown's! They went on a skiing trip and needed someone to watch the pup, so of course I wanted to! Petee is a sweetheart. He may be ornery, but he's so great!

Some funny things I've learned about Petee:
1. At first he didn't like the snow, but now sometimes he wants to find the deepest snow he can and romp around in it, thus making me have to be ready with a towel when we come back inside, otherwise he'll get everything wet!
2. He likes yoga! Or, rather, he likes it when I do yoga because my face is close to the ground a lot, making it easier for him to lick me! He may not be good for concentration, but he's great for making me laugh when I'm about to fall over in pain!
3. He likes to play with his treats before he eats them. I tell him to sit, he does, I tell him he's a good boy then give him a treat, then he sets it down and pounces around on it for a little while! Precious!
4. He must be able to sense that I'm leaving soon, because he has gotten extra affectionate tonight! (AKA humping me. So not a good kind of affectionate, haha)
5. Dark holes scare him. We were on a potty walk earlier (it was dark), and he walked by a dark hole that he couldn't reach or see into, growled, and jumped back in fear! Then he creeped toward the hole again, peeked over the edge, jumped back and growled again! I died laughing!
6. He likes to know what I'm up to (I'm sure he does this with Han, too). If we're hanging out on the couch, or he's laying around or playing somewhere and I get up from wherever I am, he gets up and follows me to wherever I'm going. He's so curious!

I'm really going to miss this little turkey when his Mama and Papa come back tomorrow! I won't miss his 5:19 am wake-up-I-needa-go-potty calls, but I'll miss everything else about him! The snuggles, the pouncing around, the playing chase with himself in the mirror, the taking pictures of all the goofy ways he sleeps, and so on! I need a puppy now, haha. I'm so glad Hannah and Nick wanted me to watch him :) And don't worry you two, I know he has missed you because he scratches your bedroom door several times a day! He will be so excited to see you again!!
















Well I guess that's it for now (I know it was plenty, haha)! Hope everyone has had a great long weekend and is excited for the semester to begin! Me, well I don't have classes, but I get to start subbing soon; As soon as I get my TB test taken I can start making money!! Yay for paying bills!

Until next time...


And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience
Colossians 3:12







1 comment:

  1. Taren,

    My name is Rich Crowley. I really hope this doesn't seem too "creepy," but I came across your blog while I was doing some background research on President Ingram. He has graciously agreed to speak about some of his leadership experiences at an event I am hosting on the evening of March 1, and I thought maybe it would be nice to invite some students from MCC.

    The meeting is for the "Flint Hills Regional Wealth Club" - it's a project I'm working on to help people grow in five areas of their lives: building financial wisdom (wisdom vs. literacy!), strengthening leadership skills, encouraging entrepreneurship, expanding professional networks, and encouraging and enabling charitable giving. Events are free of charge, I provide dinner and door prizes, and there are no sales pitches.

    The second speaker at the March 1 event is Mrs. Pat Parker, who's a CPA and will be talking about taxes.

    I'd appreciate the opportunity to share a bit more with you about the club, send you the flyer for this month's meeting, and see if there's a way you might be able to help spread the word around MCC, if you're interested. You can email me at flinthillswealthclub@gmail.com. Thanks for your time!

    P.S. - I recently tried taking sermon notes on my blackberry and got a lot of dirty looks from the older folks in the congregation. I went back to pen and paper the next week...

    ReplyDelete